The Veterans Guest House, Inc. is a Nevada Non-Profit 501(c)(3) and is not affiliated with the Veterans Hospital or the Veterans Administration. The Veterans Guest House is privately supported by individual and community donations from people like you who recognize the need for supporting our heroes. No government money is received for the day-to-day operation of the house, which costs approximately $400,000 a year to operate the House. Donations may be tax-deductible. Consult your tax attorney for specifics.
- Mission: The Veterans Guest House provides United States Military service veterans and their families’ temporary overnight accommodations while receiving treatment at a medical facility in the Reno/Sparks area.
- Short History: The Veterans Guest House was founded in 1992 after some veterans noticed that people were sleeping in their cars in the VAMC parking lot. In particular, a woman was seen getting out of a car one morning and when asked informed these men that her husband was in the ICU and that she and her children had no means to sleep anywhere other than the car. That is when “Never again on our watch” became the mantra of the founders.
- Who stays at the Guest House? Veterans and their families span the globe and have served in WWII, Viet Nam to Iraq and Afghanistan. The majority of guests receive treatment at the Veterans Administration Medical Center (VAMC). The VAMC covers 100,000 square miles from Bishop to Auburn, Elko and Ely. We welcome them with open arms and thank them for their service. Guests are asked to make a donation of $25 while staying at the Guest House, but no one is turned away for an inability to pay. To check if you qualify to stay at the Guest House, click here.
- Annual Occupancy: In 2016 our occupancy was over 5,300 guest nights, or 84% occupancy. 762 individuals were housed at our partner hotel, the Sands Regency.
- What is the future demand for the Guest House? Demand for outpatient services at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center is projected to double in the next eight years. The hospital has already experienced a 40 percent increase in outpatient visits and over a 50 percent increase in the number of inpatients between 2007 and 2010. This growth will directly impact the demand for our services. We also want to make sure that we are taking care of our veterans who are being cared for at other medical facilities around the area, including long-term care facilities
- Expansion completed in 2011: In order to meet the demands of our veteran population, we expanded into a house next door to 880 Locust St. This property was purchased with the help of a HUD Community Block Grant from the City of Reno.
- Expansion Underway: The need continues to grow as more of our veterans and their families need medical treatment. With the more recent military actions, i.e. Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, and the ongoing military service, the Guest House will be needed for years to come. Construction of a larger facility will begin in the spring of 2017.
- Our Events: The Guest House has many events throughout the year. Our Annual Events include the KOH News Talk Radio 780 Radiothon in the spring, along with a golf tournament. Boots Meet Fashion, show in September, Salute and Support Raffle ticket sales running from September – December, and our Veterans Day Open House. Many private individuals and groups hold events on our behalf, including the Summer Salute car show in May, a Golf Tournament and Poker Run in June, and much more. Check our calendar for upcoming events and ways you can get involved.